Wikipedia Trail: White Elephant to Chandra

A sculpture of Chandra from the 13th century. Source: Wikipedia

For this week's Wikipedia Trail I started with white elephant because my one of the Jataka readings was about a white elephant. I think they are so beautiful and I love to look at pictures of them.
This led me to Airavata, which was the name of the flying white elephant who belonged to the God Indra. This elephant was the king of all elephants and has 5 trunks and 10 tusks.
The previous search led me to the ocean of milk, where some legends say that Airavata came out of. This ocean of milk is a major marker in Hinduism and its legends. It is the 5th from the center of 7 oceans and surrounded Krauncha, a continent. This ocean is where Vishnu rests with Lakshmi, his consort.
Ocean of milk led me to the final page of my Wikipedia Trail, which was Chandra, the Moon God. This ties in with the ocean of milk because of Chandra's involvement in the Ocean's churning in order to get the nectar of immortal life. Chandra also goes by Soma, and Somvaar (Monday) is the day of the week that is named after him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Nurse

Week 2 Story: The Servant and the "Beast"