Reading Notes: Mahabharata, Part A

Goddess Ganga presenting (future) Devavrata to Shantanu. Source: Wikipedia

Shantanu (King of Hastinapura) -> falls in love with woman by river (Turns out to be Goddess Ganga)
Ganga drowned all but 1 child, named Bhishma (Devavrata)
Shantanu -> falls in love with Satyavati (fisherman's daughter) - rules: children must be successor
Bhishma renounces succession
They have 2 sons, Chitrangada and Vichitravirya

I want to write my story about the love story between Shantanu and his lovers. I will create a story which will show a great tragedy when Shantanu loses Ganga and his 7 children. There will be lots of dialogue to show the intense emotions and feelings of Shantanu. When he falls in love with Satyavati, I will make the scene as if Shantanu could never find love again but ends up finding it in Satyavati. The beginning chapters were a little heartbreaking for me to read and I believe that it is a great section that can be elaborated and explained in more detail, becoming its own tale. Shantanu's love affairs intrigued me so I will write about that.

Bibliography: Narayan's Mahabharata. R. K. Narayan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Nurse

Week 2 Story: The Servant and the "Beast"