Growth Mindset: A New Inspiration

I was quite inspired by Carol Dweck's philosophy after watching her videos. I had never heard of her before and came about her videos during a class assignment for Epics of India at OU. In my schoolwork, I like to see a challenge and overcome the challenges so that I can learn from them and possibly be more knowledgeable about the next challenge I have to face in the future. In my hobbies, such as cooking, a challenge should be accepted. I believe making simple things is basic. More challenging recipes and cuisines inspire me to try different things because most likely if it fails the first time, the second or third time will be more successful.

Dweck's Growth Mindset Summary. Source: Twitter

From what I have learned from my own learning at OU, easy classes and coursework are what people, and myself, strive for. This is simply because, in this society, the emphasis is primarily placed on grade point average, not learning and absorbing the materials. People find all sorts of ways to make good grades, this includes taking online classes so that books and the internet are more accessible during assignments and quizzes, studying past exam materials provided by the professors and memorizing those answers, and countless other ways to make the best possible grades. This is a problem because students are not learning the material, only memorizing what they need to know for the exams, so that they can get a good grade in the class and then move on to the next class, utilizing the same methods. Thus, my biggest challenge as I set about learning new things, is the methods in which we are "pushed" to learn.

I would love to learn more about Carol Dweck's Growth Mindset as the semester progresses because I want to utilize this method and deviate from my old ways. My personal learning goal this semester is to actually learn the information taught to me and understand the concepts so that I can apply the information to real-life scenarios without having to think too much. I will try to apply growth mindset to my troubling classes like research methods II: experimental design class and my psychology capstone class.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Nurse

Week 2 Story: The Servant and the "Beast"