Week 5 Story: Sita in the Forest

Valmiki with Lava and Kusha. Source: Wikipedia

"How can my Rama just abandon me like that?" Sita thought "I have been through everything with him, even followed him through his exile from his own home."

Sita was having mixed thoughts, while she was washing the only other pair of clothes she had at the riverbank. It had been 3 months since she saw another human and Sita was getting lonely and feeling depressed.

Sita confirmed to herself, " If I wasn't pregnant with these twins, I would have ended my life the moment I was banished by Rama."

All of a sudden, Sita heard some rustling in a nearby bush. Having a large stone ready to launch, Sita advanced towards the rustling, step by step. A figure popped out of the bushes, flailing his arms, begging Sita not to throw the stone at him. Sita recognized the man who came out of the bushes. It was the sage, Valmiki.

"How long has it been since I have seen another person. What are you doing here?" asked Sita.

Valmiki stated excitedly, "I have come to rescue you, Sita! I heard Rama speak of what he had done to you and I could not believe it!"

"Leave me be, Valmiki. Rama should be the one to rescue me. How could he think I betrayed him? These are his own children I have growing inside of me." Sita said wearily.

"I know what he did was wrong but we have to prove to him that you are as pure as you say. You have devoted your life to loving and caring for Rama and he should know and believe that your words are as pure as the water that flows through the holy river!" said Valmiki.

"I cannot face a person who has lost all hope and trust in me! I will live here in the forest, I am being taken care of by the forest gods and they will help me raise my children." Sita said firmly.

"As you wish, my queen. I will come and check on you as much as my time permits." With that statement, Valmiki left.

Over the past few months, Valmiki visited Sita and stayed with her for a few days at a time. He would talk to her about Ayodhya and tell stories from his childhood so that she would be able to tell stories to her children. Valmiki would also tell Sita about the news and ongoing issues that Ayodhya faced. Sita would then give her input on the issues and Valmiki would deliver the advice to the council back in Ayodhya. Although banished from her kingdom, Sita still managed to help her people by giving advice through Valmiki.

On a rainy day, Sita birthed her twins with the help of Valmiki and the forest gods. She raised her babies with the help of nature and the gods. As they grew older, they would often question their mother about their father and where he was. Sita told wonderful stories to her kids about how great their father was but also told then stories of how he abandoned her.

The kids wanted to confront their father and ask why he would do such a thing as banish his own wife. They told their mother that they were going to find some berries to eat and they ran off to sing songs of Rama and Vishnu. At the same time, Valmiki arrived and asked the kids what they were doing.

"We are trying to call out to Rama so that we can confront him and ask why he did such thing to our mother." announced the twins in unison.

"Fair enough." said Valmiki, "I have a better idea though. How about I lead you to him and you can talk to him in person."

"Really, you would do that for us?" said the twins.

"Of course! Just don't tell your mother!" Stated Valmiki, and with that, they left to visit Ayodhya to confront Rama.

Author's Note: Originally Lakshmana left Sita in the forest by Valmiki's ashram, as told to do so by Rama. The story ended with Sita taking up herself to the womb of Mother Earth after she reunited her sons with Rama. By giving herself up to Mother Earth, she proved her purity to Rama and was at peace with herself.

Bibliography: Paley, Nina. Sita Sings the Blues. Source.

Comments

  1. Hi Shivani! I really like that you added dialogue to show us Sita’s point of view because the original story did not give much detail at all about what Sita felt during her exile or what she went through. It just jumped to her having kids and Rama running into his kids. I really enjoyed reading your story! You had lots of detail and made the scene very interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shivani!

    Adding to the end of the Ramayana from Sita's perspective was really creative. The dialogue made it even better, I actually wish the original had something like this. The fact that she was still providing help through Valmiki in your story was a great addition in this. I agree with Rosa, the original jumps from the twins being born, and Valmiki taking them to the "feast." This was great to read! Can't wait to read your other stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello again, Shivani!

    What a great story! The power of dialogue is highlighted throughout your story, which is also incredibly creative. I think you could add a little more to your author's note. I would love to hear more about your motivation for writing this story and why you retold it the way you did. Readers might appreciate reading your goal for your project. Overall though, great job! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Nurse

Week 2 Story: The Servant and the "Beast"